Wednesday 24 March 2010


Chilli and Red Pepper Jam

I have just made some chilli and red pepper jam. It's the first time I have really made jam , although I have fabricated a few dubious and a few marvellous concoctions tentatively named onion marmalade, one memorable batch (the last) still in my fridge. I scanned a few methods on the web but none of them really appealed so I plumped for Nigella's recipe. It is simple and good, but I tweaked it a bit,(made it a bit spicier):



100g long red chillies

50g habanero or scotch bonnet

500ml cider vinegar or red wine vinegar

1kg jam sugar

De-seed and finely chop the peppers and chillies, use a food processor if you wish. Small bits but not mince. Put the vinegar in a large saucepan and add the sugar. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, try not to stir it too much. Add the chopped peppers and chillies and bring the liquid to the boil. Boil strongly for between 5 and 7 minutes. (This instruction varies so much that I took an average time, about 6 mins!), then remove from heat and allow it to cool down in the pan. After about 30 minutes, when it has cooled, the mixture should have thickened and the pepper bits will be hanging in the viscous liquid. Spoon the mixture into sterilised jars.

Obviously if you like really spicy, add more chillies, less red pepper. I added hot chillies to mine as I am growing several habanero plants. I hope I haven't made it too hot. I'll try it in a minute.

(One minute later): Ow! I may have added too many habaneros, but it's actually pretty good. Richly sweet at first, sticky, pleasing texture, a blast of high heat on the finish, and it's still going. I am very pleased with that, my first effort. The colour is amazing, and although it hasn't quite set yet, I am hopeful that it will be jam, not just sweet chilli sauce.


1 comment:

  1. Delicious. I not-so-recently had the pleasure of tasting some of your jam, and I can tell you, it is REALLY something. Anyway, look forward to further delicious recipes and recommendations.

    ReplyDelete